So my little brother has got me thinking. A couple of days ago he was chocking after he had taken a drink. I asked him if he was ok and was like “did you swallow a fishy?” I teach swimming lessons and that is the one thing we ask the kids if they get water in their mouth and it helps with other times too outside of the water. Anyways, he instantly stopped coughing so I could take his fishy’s out. Then he was fine. It’s so amazing how fast little kids get distracted. It’s like one minute they are talking about this and then they switch subjects so fast. Haha
So I was thinking, that is how we are. We get distracted so fast too even if it’s not like how little kids are. I think we can get distracted from different things including God. I think sometimes He is the easiest to kinda forget about. Like you know what I mean. Not like forgetting He is there but like when we have to read our Bible or pray but there is this great tv show on, so we will do that later. Sometimes He get’s pushed back farther and farther cuz we are caught up things around us. We say “oh the Bible will still be there when I get back but I can’t watch that episode again.” We get distracted from God.
When you read your Bible, do you check your phone every two seconds, or listen to music? That’s a huge distraction too. Why listen to music while you are reading? Isn’t God more important than your favorite song?
This kinda has to do with Bible reading too. The small group I go to, we talked about this a few weeks ago. So what time of day do you read your Bible? Do you just do it to get it over with? Or do you just skip it all together cuz it’s boring and you don’t feel like it?
Now I’m having a hard time with this too. I have been getting distracted a lot. I can’t concentrate and my thoughts are everywhere but what I’m reading. It’s terrible! Here are some steps that were shared, on how to become in the habit of reading your Bible. Here’s a questions too, why do we read our Bible daily? So we can grow and be more like Jesus!
1) Even if you don’t WANT to read, you need to force yourself to sit down each morning or night (I suggest waking up a little earlier in the morning for it).
2) Repeat step 1 over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again!!!!!!!!!!
3) Take your time……. But, eventually you will feel like you WANT to read God’s word. When this happens…. GREAT!!!!!! Now, your goal should be to continue this routine and start living by what your reading. Don’t just read the words with understanding them. Read them, think about them, and apply it to your life. This is the most important part. God wants us to be sharing His love with everyone we come across. By reading God’s word and applying it to our life, we will become more like Jesus and find it much easier to share God’s love.
I hope that helped you start setting your goals and getting caught up on your reading.
So let me know what you guys think! This is kinda a somewhat random post but oh well. Hope you guys enjoyed it! Remember to focus on God and His word! Focus on not getting distracted from Him:)
“The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.”
~ Psalm 28:7
~ Psalm 28:7
No comments:
Post a Comment